Fuel injection is a method or system for admitting fuel into the internal combustion engine. From early 1940s many injection system like single-point injection, continuous injection are introduced in the market by the different companies. But presently the most used injection system are MPFI in petrol engine and CRDI in diesel engine.
MPFI (Multi point Fuel Injection) System,Electronic Fuel injection
Petrol vehicles uses device called carburetor for supplying the air fuel mixture in correct ratio to cylinders in all rpm ranges. Due to construction of the carburetor is relatively simple, it has been used almost exclusively on gasoline engines in the past. However presently we need cleaner exhaust emission system, more economical fuel consumption, improved drivability, etc.
So in order to get all these , we need a carburetor that must have various devices to do the above functions, making it more complex system. So In place of the carburetor, therefore, the MPFI (multi point fuel injection) system is used, assuring proper air fuel ratio to the engine by electrically injecting fuel in accordance with various driving condition.
Advantages and Disadvantages|mid engine cars|RWD vs AWD
ECU (Engine Control Unit) Cars,ECM,Parts,Functioning
HOW TO INCREASE FUEL ECONOMY OF YOUR CAR
ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS) AND ITS WORKING
SUSPENSION AND ITS DIFFERENT TYPES
CRDi(Common Rail Direct Injection) Engine
CARBURATION AND CARBURETTOR
Multi point fuel injection system injects fuel into the intake ports just upstream of each cylinder’s intake valve, rather than at the central point within the intake manifold.
Multi point fuel injection systems are of three types, first is BATCHED in which fuel is injected to the cylinders in groups, without precisely bringing together to any particular cylinder’s intake stroke, the second one is simultaneous in which fuel is injected at the same time to all the cylinders and the third one is sequential in which injection is timed to coincide with each cylinder’s intake stroke.
ADVANTAGES OF MULTI POINT FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
- More uniform air-fuel mixture will be supplied to each cylinder, hence the difference in power developed in each cylinder is minimum.
- The vibrations produced in MPFI engines is very less, due to this life of the engine component is increased.
- No need to crank the engine twice or thrice in case of cold starting as happen in the carburetor system.
- Immediate response, in case of sudden acceleration and deceleration.
- The mileage of the vehicle is improved.
- More accurate amount of air-fuel mixture will be supplied in these injection system. As a result complete combustion will take place. This leads to effective utilization of fuel supplied and hence low emission level.